When I started Topplers in 2008, with the help of some good friends, I had no idea what to expect. But I knew one thing… When you have the courage to put yourself out there, to start small, to trust that others will join you, good things will come. And that’s exactly what happened.
From 2008 through 2014, Topplers built a community of people who believed in the power of the Domino Theory concept. People from all over got involved by taking small actions that added up over time and positively impacted many lives. Each year our aspirations grew, donations increased, our efforts expanded, and things were looking up. Mostly…
After seven years, we hit a rough patch. It became clear that our strategy had some flaws. It was now time to step back and regroup. So, we slowed everything down and decided to solely focus on our most mature “branch” of the Topple: The Domino Award. As a result, the 2015 Domino Award was a huge success, but the bigger Topplers concept was in holding pattern.
Ramping down was disappointing for sure, but we knew that is was time to rethink our approach and restructure of the organization. However, as inevitable as it is that all things come to an end (usually proceeded by a fair amount of chaos), it is also certain that there will be a “rebirth” after a time of “emptiness.” So, we embraced the emptiness and trusted that things would eventually start back up stronger than ever when the time was right.
And that time is now.
With renewed energy and optimism we’re taking small actions aligned to our mission:
Topplers connects people who have inspiring ideas with people around the world standing ready to help make those ideas become reality. We use our Domino Theory framework to organize our efforts, and to inspire people to join our community. We are dedicated to finding ways to demonstrate that small actions add up, and that anyone has the ability to make our world a better place.
In support of this mission, currently our efforts are now focused on:
- Growing our reach on Facebook by sharing inspiring stories that speak to the power of small actions adding up.
- Improving our community sign-up website, our main website, and this blog so our message and methodology are more clear.
- Cleaning house related to our business operations.
- Preparing for the 2017 Domino Award.
What can you expect next from Topplers? We will:
- Continue to grow our reach on social media (Facebook and other platforms).
- Mobilize the Topplers community to help make someone’s inspiring idea a reality.
- Build our community through partnerships with other non-profits.
- Pursue opportunities to talk to groups of people so we can inspire and motivate them to find ways to grow their impact.
If you would like to help us build momentum, here are few things you can do today:
- If you haven’t already, follow and engage with Topplers’ Facebook page (like, share, comment).
- Join our community by creating an account on our sign-up website.
- Sign up for the website advisory council (coming soon).
- At the very least, “Think like a Toppler!” This means developing a mindset of seeing the world through the lens of Domino Theory and seeking ways to take small actions knowing that your efforts will set in motion more actions.
I never thought this would be easy, but I always knew that Topplers was a personal “calling” of sorts. I’m finding that life has a strange way of providing opportunities to remind me that helping people is one of the most important things I can do. So, just like it was back in 2008, I have no idea exactly what will happen next. But, I’m taking small actions, like writing this blog post, and one way or another I know things will add up.
I invite you to join me in revitalizing Topplers – an exciting new phase is underway!